End of Year Tax Tips

Published by William T. Fricke at December 21, 2016

About Us

miniature house with money on tax papersEveryone has different things to consider at the end of the year when planning for the tax season. There is still a little more time left in the year to review some key tax-related items.

Tax Rates are Expected to be Reduced for 2017

The one thing that we believe we can rely upon for the upcoming changes to the Income Tax Code is that 2017 tax rates will be lower than the 2016 tax rates.  Therefore, all taxpayers should delay recognizing income until 2017 whenever possible and should accelerate deductions into 2016.  That means that you should go ahead and purchase business equipment, vehicles, leasehold improvements, prepay invoices, maximize pension contributions, make charitable contributions and pay state estimated taxes before December 31st.

Watch Out For Expiring Deductions

A few deductions will expire at the end of this year, so it’s important to act now to take advantage of them in the remaining weeks of 2016.

Did You Pay For College Costs This Year?

A deduction for tuition and expenses paid for yourself, your spouse or a dependent can be used on your 2016 return but may not apply in 2017.

Expiring Provisions Related to Home Ownership

Private mortgage insurance (PMI), the amount you typically pay when your down payment is below 20%, may only be deductible through the end of 2016.

If you were involved in a foreclosure, short sale or loan modification related to your primary residence, you can exclude up to $2 million in forgiven debt from you taxable income, but only through the end of this year.

Time to Donate and Give Back

Charitable giving at the end of the year is a common way to get a deduction. Remember to get a receipt for any contribution, no matter the amount.  You can also make a contribution from a retirement account to a charity and reduce taxable income from your required minimum distribution.

Review Your Retirement Account

Now is the time to put the maximum amount of money that you can in your employer sponsored retirement account. If you have an IRA, you have until April 2017 to contribute for 2016. If you’re operating a Sub-Chapter S Corporation and are interested in a 401K Retirement plan, it must be established by December 31.

The New Year is a good opportunity to meet with your tax professional and begin planning to meet your tax goals. Contact Fricke & Associates, LLC at www.frickecpa.com or call 770-216-2226 for more advice.



Explore Our Blog

We have set ourselves up as leaders in the industry to educate our audience on relevant topics in the accounting world.

Tax Resolution Services

May 1, 2024 by John Holmes

Navigating the complexities of tax issues can be daunting. This…

Read more

In the Court of the Surge in Tax Identity Theft: An Observation by Fricke & Associates

April 1, 2024 by John Holmes

In 2024, the IRS reported a significant 30% rise in…

Three Things to Look For When Hiring A Tax Professional

April 1, 2024 by William T. Fricke

When it comes to managing your taxes, the guidance of…

We can help

If you need a bookkeeping professional for Small businesses in Atlanta, GA, Fricke & Associates, LLC. We have the expertise and experience to understand your needs, analyze your financial data, promote your growth, and ensure your financial future is set on a successful path. Additionally, we are a leader in developing and implementing the latest technology for optimizing accounting, tax, and financial planning solutions.

Join Our Email List

Enter your email address to stay up-to-date on recent tax laws and receive helpful tips!